Tuesday, November 18, 2008

It's Only $1.49 Written May 28, 2008


That's what someone told me last night. He was referring to the magnet of the Sacred Heart of Jesus which I bought yesterday. When I took it out of the bag, I noticed there were two magnets. I checked the receipt and saw that they only charged me for one. There was that voice in my head that told me it was only $1.49 and nobody would miss it. But still, it wasn't honest to keep it and not pay for it.
When I told my family where I was going, I was questioned on why I would go all the way back to the store to pay $1.49. The truth was I just didn't feel right about keeping something I didn't pay for.
So I brought my daughter with me ( she is 6 and loves Jesus with all her heart. She loves the religious store.) When I went to the cashier, she was shocked, but happy that we returned and paid.
I gained more than a magnet for my $1.49. Even though the trip was out of our way and an inconvenience, I gained a free conscience. I taught my children that honesty is important - no matter how big or small the element is in question.
I've often prayed that my children will grow up and continue the Catholic morals I'm teaching them now. I'm sure by being a positive example, as described above, will help that mission.

No comments: